Communication skills is part of a series of courses on life skills. These courses are aimed at persons aged 18 – 35 years old, in employment, unemployed or in college, in business, looking to enter the workforce or go into self employment.
- Learner will gain in-depth understanding of communication skills and sub-skills.
- Learner will be able to appreciate the importance of communication skills in personal life, and in professional settings.
- Learner will know which steps to take towards developing and enhancing their communication skills.
- Learner will be provided with tips on how to apply communication skills in various contexts.
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the end of this course the learner should be able to:
- Engage in active listening, use sub-skills such as attending to and managing communication, clarifying for better understanding, holding back judgment in communication process etc.
- Determine and select the most appropriate channels of communication for different scenarios and contexts.
- Identify desirable outcomes and consequences of communication.
- Formulate clear messages that convey the intended meaning and appropriate use of non-linguistic cues.
- Adhere to norms, rules and conventions of disciplinary areas or general contexts.
- Factor in cultural and social norms of communication.
- Practice deep reading that enables one to draw inferences, monitor comprehension, questioning, reflecting and critically analyzing speech or text.
- Model other peoples minds taking into account emotions, dispositions, beliefs and knowledge.