This course is for persons working in government agencies & departments, incubators, accelerators, innovation hubs, international organisations, NGOs and regional economic development bodies, consultants and policy makers responsible for private sector development and in particular, startups and innovation ecosystems.
Introduction to key concepts relevant for innovation ecosystem. Learners will be introduced to startup ecosystem and its key elements Five key ecosystem organisations, their roles and impact on ecosystem well-being Tangible and intangible challenges and inter-dependencies and how these can be effectively managed. The role of innovation ecosystems for startups Startups, types, categories of startups and global trends Innovation ecosystems vs Startup ecosystems Development of startup ecosystem – key considerations Funding ecosystems Ecosystem governance
At the end of this course learners can expect to be able to;
- Understand key concepts and frameworks of innovation and startup ecosystems
- Have insight into the key global trends in startup ecosystems particularly those from the global South.
- Understand the role and functions of different ecosystem organisations in building and supporting growth of startups
- Gain knowledge of how to develop startup ecosystem, key components and how to influence, catalyse dynamics between them and govern to drive ecosystem productivity.
- Nurture, track performance and influence the course of ecosystems for productivity.
- How to map startup ecosystems, develop key performance indicators and their
Case studies, quizzes
This course is developed by Jacinta Ndichu and international development consultant with expertise in public policy, national systems of innovation, technology transfers and private sector development. Jacinta holds a joint Master of Sciences from United Nations University & Maastricht University in the Netherlands and has supported startups based at innovation hubs and incubators in the Netherlands. Jacinta is a senior consultant at Innovation Point Consulting.